Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 2,457
Re: Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

For my last build I "future proofed" it by buying the leading Ivy Bridge processor and a capable mobo (Asus p8v77-V Pro). Believe it or not, I'm still quite satisfied with its performance even though I process Photoshop files that weigh in at up to12GB or so.

This time around, all I care about is updating my aging hardware and virtually anything I buy will come with a built-in performance boost. So no bleeding edge parts and their associated higher costs for me. The essentials to date:

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Processor: Retail AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7 - 4.6GHz Turbo, AM4, 65W TDP,
Video Card: No Video Card (reusing my GTX 1660S)
Memory: G.SKILL 64GB Kit (4 x 16GB) Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
Power Supply: SEASONIC FOCUS GX-650, 80 PLUS Gold 650W, Fully Modular
CPU Cooler: Box CPU Fan (Included w/ retail processor)
M.2 Storage: SAMSUNG 250GB 980 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
4 SATA drives (SSD and HDD) from current machine
Windows 10 Pro

The Samsung 980 will be installed in the seconary, PCIe3 slot, because there is no real-world speed difference between PCIe3 and 4 for system drives. The PCIe4 slot will get a 500GB 980 Pro and be used for working file storage, etc. I realize that Intel has regained the performance crown, for now, with gen 12 of their processors but I don't care. Given that my current, satisfactorily performing machine will be 10 years old this coming year, I can't imagine that I will outgrow the new one in my lifetime.

Good luck with the process.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow