Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
moficera Contributing Member • Posts: 872
Re: FE SEL24-105 soft focus

William Curtindale wrote:

moficera wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

JERumball wrote:

OK thanks.

I will try tighter crops next time, but I am trying keep everything the same for all players because these are all getting cut out and made into a composite. I need to leave room for the taller players.

On the topic of front focussing, I think this lens is indeed front focussing at F8, but not at F4. I did a little test just now where I focused on the middle of 5 batteries with flexible spot small. One shot is at F4 the other is at F8. The focus appears to shift forward at F8. These were all shot at 105mm,, auto ISO, 1/250s. Would you agree that the lens should be sent back or am I misinterpreting the results?

Focus shift is a normal effect, nothing wrong with the lens. The solution is shooting AF-C or DMF

Yes, I can confirm, mine does the same, seems to be normal for the lens to have some focus shift.

Did the two of you do the same test using AF-C and see the shift or only tested with AF-S?

AF-C was spot on as it focused at f8 while AF-S focuses wide open and stops down afterwards that introduces focus shift.

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow