Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
S Castle
S Castle Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
DxO releases PhotoLab 5.1 - comments

The folks in France have been busy. Here's the bit from the release notes:

New in DxO PhotoLab 5.1

• The Image browser filter menu has been revamped to be more functional.
  • You can now display an image’s GPS coordinates directly in Google Maps by clicking on the dedicated icon (opens a browser).
  • PhotoLab is now available in Chinese.
  • FilmPack 6: To make it easier to use the Time Machine, you can now apply presets directly from the events interface.

New supported cameras

• Canon EOS R3
  • Fuji GFX 50S II
  • Fuji X-T30 II, X-T10, X100S
  • Ricoh GRIIIx
  • Sony FX3

Bug fixes

• Minor bug fixes.

Now for my comments.

First, the Fuji X-Trans folks might be interested to learn that their sensors seem now to be (somewhat) supported -- the X-T30 II, X-T10, and X100S are all X-Trans, I think. I don't have any raw files from any of these so I can't report on that.

Second, the logic in the browser filter has been changed so that instead of excluding what you want to see, you now select what to include, but the default is to include everything. Also, there is a link to maps for showing GPS location, if they are in the file's metadata. There is no provision for adding the coordinates via a map, though -- you must enter them manually.

I have yet to make any use of the FP Time Machine. Does anyone use it? Is it at all useful?

A comment on the browser functions. I know that DxO is trying to make the product more usable as a DAM, with the keywords, GPS, and other metadata being made searchable, but I kind of wish they'd not, or that they offer a version with most of the browser tweaks left out. I use the IMatch DAM from Photools for all this, and only use PL for processing raw photos. All the other stuff is not useful to me.

Finally, I wish they'd say exactly what bugs were fixed. You can't even find this info on their web pages. Maybe in the forums?

Well, that's all I have to say about this update, except they do seem to be wanting it to be more usable by more people and for more devices.

-- hide signature --

Shane

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow