Used Canon EOS 1000 not turning on after having initially turned on with new battery

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RJDG14 Regular Member • Posts: 142
Used Canon EOS 1000 not turning on after having initially turned on with new battery

I've just received a used Canon EOS 1000 and am having issues getting it to turn on - it uses a 2CR5 battery, which I have, and upon initially inserting it with the mode dial set to the green rectangle (auto), the information screen showed the battery level (full charge) for a few seconds before going blank. After it went blank (as you would expect it to if you leave it idle for a few seconds), I've been unable to get the screen or any other functionality to turn back on, even after repeatedly taking out and reinserting the battery, and don't know what's wrong when it initially powered on and there's nothing noticeably wrong about the camera (as far as I can tell) otherwise. I paid under £10 for it but still want it to work, as it did for a few seconds after initially inserting the battery.

The battery contacts look clean and in the right position with no sign of corrosion or oxidation, and as far as I can tell this model has no lock on the battery door that will prevent the camera from turning on. The battery does seem to have quite a bit of give in the slot but I doubt this matters and the camera did power on briefly the first time I inserted it. It has en expiry date of December 2030. Can anyone help me resolve this problem?

Below is how the battery slot looks on the camera - I see nothing wrong with it:

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow