Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP dperez Regular Member • Posts: 430
Re: Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

So this "1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 header" will run 2 Type A ports. I'll have to see if I can find a front panel unit that uses the Type-C and makes more USB3 Type-A ports, 'cause 2 is really short.

About 3 a.m. I jolted awake and realized I'm an idiot! YES, I've got an AMD 5700XT GPU that I fortunately bought by accident about 7 minutes before things went totally nuts, and YES I'd plug into that... SOMEHOW, while going through all the gibberish they put in the specs, I forgot I'm NOT reliant on the built-in video outputs.

This was reinforced this morning when I started looking at MSI boards, which appear to have NO video outputs.

Now I'm back to looking at the 4 Aorus I have data for, and other than the Ultra having a bit more power and a few more USB 3 ports, I'm still hard pressed to see what makes the 3 boards worth different amounts.  Even the AORUS Master is just the ability to put 4 USB3 ports on the front panel, and maybe an extra M.2 port.  And it's $100 more than the AORUS Ultra.  There must be significant improvements in innards that make the difference but they sure don’t highlight those…

The whole motherboard thing seems to be a convoluted mess - I THINK ASUS has somewhere around 17 different Z690 boards, at least 9  of which are DDR5...

I suspect most people have a brand they like and have confidence in, and just find a middling or medium high but less than very top of the line board, and use it.  Which is PROBABLY what I'll wind up doing!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow