Affordable 13" Thin and Light but Powerful Ultrabooks with Dedicated GPU and 64 GB RAM

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sbansban Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Affordable 13" Thin and Light but Powerful Ultrabooks with Dedicated GPU and 64 GB RAM

Any Affordable 13" Thin and Light but Powerful Windows Ultrabooks with Dedicated GPU and RAM upgradable to 64GB? Now or in The Near Future?

I had been researching Windows gaming laptops for about a year now for using them as image-editing devices ever since having some Topaz programs crash on my old Lenovo i5 X230. I learnt from Topaz that they recommend dedicated GPU's and finally zeroed in on the ASUS ROG series as I wanted the most portable but affordable Windows laptop with a powerful processor and GPU. I bit the bullet this November and picked up the ASUS ROG GA401QM-211.ZG14 with Ryzen 9 5900HS, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 on sale at Best Buy for $1299. What used to take Topaz Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI etc. several minutes on my Lenovo X230 is now getting done in a second on the ASUS ROG Zephyr 14. I was also glad to have my purchase receive a ringing endorsement from DPR - see https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/asus-zephyrus-g14-2021-review-the-m1-macbook-pro-killer .

I do have several issues with the ASUS Zephyr 14 though. One is that it is only upgradeable to max 40 GB RAM and that too in flex mode where only up to 16 GB is utilized in dual channel mode and the rest - in single channel mode - so performance takes a hit with anything beyond its onboard 16 GB RAM.

Ideally, I'd like a slick, thin, ultra-portable 13" laptop weighing around 2.5 lb and having 64 GB RAM (I often run numerous applications simultaneously and also have gazillion tabs open at the same time) plus the CPU and GPU of this ASUS - but it looks like even if I wait several more years, there's no guarantee of such a laptop becoming available - at least at a comparable price point. Since I am not a gamer, I have been wondering if I could get similar image-editing performance out of a smaller, lighter, thinner Ultrabook like the Dell XPS 13 or Lenovo Yoga if I were ready to make some slight compromises on the GPU (still would like a high-end dedicated GPU though) and the CPU (Ryzen 7? Intel i7? i9?) - but detailed reviews of Ultrabooks from an image editing standpoint are nowhere to be found.

sbansban's gear list:sbansban's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Ricoh GR Panasonic FZ1000 +23 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow