Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,870
Re: FE SEL24-105 soft focus

jhunna wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

jhunna wrote:

JERumball wrote:

I just got a brand new 24-105 for my A7R3 but I find the images are not nearly as sharp as I expected.

I am shooting people, primarily with the camera on a tripod, with OSS disabled on the lens. I've used various modes and the results are the same. I usually shoot at f8, ISO100 and 1/200s or 1/250s using the Godox AD200s to light my subjects.

This is really my first full frame lens for the A7R3. Prior to this I have used a Zeiss 16-70 f/4 lens exclusively and have not run into this problem.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

John

I think this lens is more a creature of its statistics 24-105/4 OSS what is not to like? The rendering and the sharpness. This lens does nothing for me, so much so that I have replaced it with the 16-55/2.8 which is sharp and has a beauiful rendering. I do miss the OSS BUT once you see the output it is worth it.
Following this thread with interest as the specs make this the perfect do everything lens IF it is sharp.

You replaced it with an APS-C lens? To use on an APS-C camera, or in crop mode?

I have an A7C so in crop mode. I prefer everything about the 16-55/2.8 over the 24-105/4 except the lack of OSS. 10.6 MP is more than enough for me, and it captures great video (provide you stabilize in post).
But the rendering and IQ are second to non... And as the sensors increase in MP the lack of resolution is improving. (33MP, 42.5MP, 50MP and 61MP) sensors mean you can have a SMALL 2.8 zoom.

I should add I have a 50GM so if I want the FF look I can get it when I want.

Since I got the A7R4, I've been shooting with the Minolta 24-105 3.5-4.5 D lens. Even with the LA-EA5, it's still quite a bit smaller than the SEL24105G. Also no stabilization, of course, but quite handy and compact.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Sony Mavica FD-91 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D +40 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow