Weight vs Image Quality when traveling, part 2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
male_slp
male_slp New Member • Posts: 10
Weight vs Image Quality when traveling, part 2

Hello all.. ~5 months ago I posted this thread after getting back the night before from Europe:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4589264#forum-post-65336101

There were lots of great answers in that thread. However, my thinking has evolved a little further after a recent trip to our nation’s capitol that lasted 6 days, and during which I took over 200Gb’s of photos and video on my iPhone 13 Pro. I’m thinking about next summer which will include trips to Mexico & Europe for several weeks, and have made several observations/conclusions:

1. Full-frame is irrelevant for travel photography unless you’re making an income off of it, and even if you are it’s still overkill it seems.

2. Maybe it’s not the camera you have with you, but the cameraS you have with you: I feel like the ultimate travel combo maybe looks something like an iPhone 13 Pro AND an x100v/Fuji ILC and a couple solid primes.

So is it just old habits and ideas die hard that people lug a dslr or full frame camera with the associated huge lenses on trips? I’m not sure if I’m missing something…

male_slp's gear list:male_slp's gear list
Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
i8z
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow