Expanding home network. Questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 11,869
Expanding home network. Questions

Moved my desktop to a new room.  I have  Frontier FIOS service to ONY in garage, then using cable tv cable from garage to living room (and a separate set top box in master bedroom so tv streaming over wifi not really an issue), cable splitter to set top box and MOCA to ethernet adapter and a provided "Gateway" (combined modem/router.  I don't want to interfere with current service, it works quite well for my wife's WFH office needs and Frontier charges a fee if you move to your own router, etc. .

The new location is weaker than the old (which was right next to the gateway) and there is no convenient outlet for a midpoint extender, repeater, etc.  I can raise a device to the second floor level over the current service point which would give even better {almost) line of site to her office door and reduce the amount of structure to my "office" door, too.  We're on a slab and have high ceilings, the living room area is open upwards so a higher device would be even closer to unobstructed line of site to her office door and reduce, a lot, obstructing structure to my "office." Also with slab and no attic, there's no convenient or esthetically pleasing way to "simply" run ethernet to the front of the house.  Nor is their an outlet that would work for an extender. Raising the current gateway is impractical, it would require a power lead,  coax and several ethernet cables, as well as adding a swicth, etc., for temporary or permanent ethernet access at a useful point.

So thinking of adding a router (I have an Asus RT-AC3200) or mesh network downstream of the current gateway.  this could be set higher with only a power lead and one ethernet cable.  An option I haven't looked too closely at is using ethernet over powerline.

The router I have, mesh is current tech?  Not sure which might be better?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow