Portable lighting solution for video and photography

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
DNature
DNature Regular Member • Posts: 310
Portable lighting solution for video and photography

I am looking for a high CRI light I can use with my Panasonic GH5. I like to take macro photos and videos, especially of insects such as moths and I also sell items so need to take photos of them and need a lighting solution for that, but because I take a lot of videos and not just photos, a flash wouldn't work for me.

I currently have a Aputure AL-M9 Mini LED Light but it seems useless for what I want as when I use it, often the camera doesn't see the light at all, especially outdoors in lower light and when using an Olympus 60mm Macro lens.

I also have 2 Interfit F5 mains powered softbox lights with 5 screw in bulbs each (or 3 each since I broke 2 bulbs). The problem I have with those is that they are not portable so I can't really use them outside. When I do use them, the bulbs get hot and the light tripod legs can get in the way of my camera tripod so I can't get the lights in the right position. Not only that, because the bulbs get hot, when I try to take photos and videos of insects like moths, the heat disturbs them and they move too much.

As well as that, I often sell a lot of different items and need to photograph them and do that on a table and currently use an Olympus 12-40mm lens, but getting the light in the right place is tricky especially as I mentioned with the tripod legs getting in the way of eachother.

I am looking for a better solution, something I can use on my camera that has a high CRI and low heat and will give me enough light for what I am doing. I would like to use it outside when taking photos and videos as well so it has to be portable and work with a battery with good battery life.

When I shoot video, I use a shotgun mic on a shockmount on the shoe of my camera, so I can't mount the light directly on the shoe mount of the camera.

I can't find where I saw them now, but I once saw a ring light that screwed onto the lens filter thread that I thought may work, but I am unsure if I could use one since I use a Variable ND filter to control exposure when shooting videos.

Can anyone help? Looking for a light I can get in the UK.

-- hide signature --

If find that the best way to live life, is not in the pursuit of material possessions, but its to live in the pursuit of making positive differences to both other people and to the planet as a whole and if you can get others to do similar or the same, so much the better.

DNature's gear list:DNature's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 600D Panasonic GH5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +9 more
Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow