A really good and versatile prime lens

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David Smith - Photographer Regular Member • Posts: 123
A really good and versatile prime lens

Because I was curious about this new lens, I compared my test photos from the OM System 20mm f/1.4 to those of a Mark II Panasonic 20mm f/1.7.

The OM System 20mm is optically superior, especially towards the edges of the image. It's sharper in the center too, but you have to pixel peep at 100% to see that. Also, it has better bokeh, weather sealing, it focusses very fast and it's nearly silent when focusing. I hoped the difference in corner sharpness would be less, because I like the Panasonic pancake, but it isn't. It is clearly visible.

I really like the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 because it's so darn small and lightweight. It literally fits in your pocket, has good image quality and combined with a compact MFT body like the E-M5 and E-M10 series camera, it forms a inconspicuous compact and lightweight system.

However, this new OM Systems 20mm f/1.4 is not only slightly faster, it's also optically superior. Although it's significantly bigger and heavier than the Panasonic pancake, it's not as big and heavy as the f/1.2 primes or Pro zoom lenses. It fits somewhere between the compact primes and the faster Pro lenses.

There's a place for both type of lenses I think. The Panasonic pancake is great to keep the size and weight of your camera gear down. Take this pancake and a short fast tele with you to travel light. The OM Systems 20mm is perfect if you want the best possible image quality, weather sealing and/or fast autofocus in the smallest possible package. It's a great lens, albeit a bit expensive.

OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 20mm F1.4 Pro
Prime lens • Micro Four Thirds
Announced: Nov 4, 2021
David Smith - Photographer's score
Average community score
20mm F1.4 Pro Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow