Nikon D500

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Elliern Senior Member • Posts: 1,736
Re: Nikon D500

Blufftonian wrote:

Elliern wrote:

... I’m looking forward to trying out the D500. I’m not sure what’s the best type of memory card though. I was going to post that question in the forum. Just started researching it and there seems to be a variety of strong opinions. Which card does your wife use?...

The D500 takes an XQD card in slot 1 and an SD card in slot 2.

One of the coolest things about the camera is its ability to take bursts of up to 200 shots without its buffer slowing down . This is where the XQD card comes in with its fast write speed of 400 MB/s. The problem is that these XQD cards are expensive at about $100 for a 64GB card. And then you'll probably need an XQD card reader that USB's into your computer, which will be another $20-$30.

SD cards on the other hand are relatively cheap at about $30 for a 128GB card (but their write speed is less than half of an XQD card) and your PC or laptop can probably already read them.

(The good news is that the D500 works just fine with Slot 1 empty and an SD card in slot 2 as long as you don't shoot long bursts.

My D500 has a 64GB Sony XQD and a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I card set as "overflow" in the camera menus and while I take a lot of bird photos, I'll admit that I very rarely shoot burst of more than about 10 or so frames.

Good luck with your new camera. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for the information.  I did get a QXD card today on sale at Best Buy for $90.  I already have several SanDisk extreme pro cards that I can add to the second slot if that works ok.  Good to know

-- hide signature --

Ellie
Enjoy the Moments!
“What day is it?” asked Pooh.
“It’s today,” squeaked Piglet.
“My favorite day,” said Pooh.
A.A. Milne

Elliern's gear list:Elliern's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon D5100 Sony a6000 Nikon D5500
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow