R5 casual HQ video settings?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MasterWayne Regular Member • Posts: 126
R5 casual HQ video settings?

Hi all,

Until now I never really shot video with my R5, but now looking into it. I do not plan to grade the footage, my goal is to get good looking files out of camera. Overheating is not a concern since I shoot mostly short pieces of landscape, family etc. I want to be able to watch the files directly on a TV, tablet etc, so compatibility is very important.

I looked into the manual, searched a little here in the forums and on youtube, but didn't find good help for this use case.

What settings would you recommend?

Currently I'm using

4k-U, HQ, IPB-Lite, 30fps.

These files can be played back by both my TVs (Samsung & Panasonic) and my phone.

I don't see any quality difference between IPB and IPB-lite, so I chose the latter due to file size. According to the manual, the Lite version should increase compatibility (although I thought it would put more load on the playback device due to more sophisticated compression?!). What is your experience here?

I'd love to shoot in HDR-PQ (both TVs support the standard HDR formats), however none of my devices can play them back. I tried all quality settings, none worked. Do you have any idea how to increase compatibility here?

Any advices are appreciated!

MasterWayne's gear list:MasterWayne's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow