USB power adapter for M50

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
B_Gardner Forum Member • Posts: 95
USB power adapter for M50

I bought a USB DC power adapter for my M6 Mark II off Amazon and it works great. It consists of a cable with a USB Type A connector on one end that plugs into my power brick, an inline DC power transformer to convert the USB 5V to the 7.4V for the camera, a small jack on the other end that plugs into a dummy DR-E17 battery that goes into the battery compartment.

This worked so well that I bought a similar unit from the same company (thru Amazon) for my Canon M50.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZD8F34X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

This one doesn't work. The first problem is that it has a USB Type C connector on the cable.  None of my power bricks have this connector so I gamely bought a USB Type C to Type A adapter from Amazon and plugged it in.  No joy.

I have a CA-PS700 AC power supply so I was able to use it to confirm that the DR-E12 dummy battery is connecting properly and supplying power to the camera.

Then I swapped in the cable from the DR-E17 unit and was able to power up the camera, so that means that the USB power brick isn't the problem (it provides 3 amps).  I tried two different USB Type C to Type A adapters and neither worked.  This doesn't prove that they're not the problem, just makes it less likely in my mind.

So it appears that there's something wrong with the inline DC power transformer on this unit.  Is it defective or is it just inadequate to power the M50?

I am wondering if anyone is using the cable successfully on their M50?

Thanks.

B_Gardner's gear list:B_Gardner's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow