First A7 IV impressions from A7 III user

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hans vdC
Hans vdC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,526
First A7 IV impressions from A7 III user

Just received my A7 IV, unboxed it and thought I'd post my first impressions. Read this coming from a A7 III user who has used the III since launch, so that camera is really 2nd nature to me.

So here goes in no particular order

• couldn't open the memory-card door, it's now a 'slide and pull to back' door. silly me, already thought I had a broker camera
  • grip is a whole different feel, camera feels a LOT bigger (but is an improvement)
  • the black of the exposure dial is 'blacker' than the other ones, not sure if this is intentional but it kinda stands out
  • camera feels quite a bit more sturdy, especially the different buttons really feel like they're built to last, big change from the A7 III
  • love the feel of the thumbstick, don't quite like the exposure dial missing the numbers now (I know it's customisable now)
  • love the way I can switch between stills and movie settings (although I rarely do use film, need to invest time in that)
  • the small things to attach the strap to is in the way of the memory card door when not using the strap. small thing.
  • all the doors on the camer feel a lot more beefy too
  • can't say I really notice a difference in resolution for the EVF or LCD. my eyesight isn't that good up-close (48yrs does do that to you...apparently) so not a big issue but had expected more
  • no opinion on the flipout screen, will see how it handles
  • shutter is a LOT nicer sounding now
  • new menus look great, although there's again a learning curve here
  • still find it a (bit) annoying that the camera can't automatically switch between humans and pets, I often take pictures of my dog or children and need to manually switch which is kinda stupid
  • bird eye af is of no use to me, the only thing I see flying away here is money
  • Adobe needs to hurry up with raw support
 Hans vdC's gear list:Hans vdC's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Sony a7 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow