Portable on camera light solution?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DNature
DNature Regular Member • Posts: 309
Portable on camera light solution?

I am looking for a high CRI light I can use with my Panasonic GH5, especially when I am shooting macro. or taking photos of items on a table. I do a mix of photography and video so getting a flash wouldn't be helpful for video. I currently have a Aputure AL-M9 Mini LED Light but it seems useless for what I want as when I use it, often the camera doesn't see the light at all, especially outdoors in lower light.

I also have 2 Interfit F5 mains powered softbox lights with 5 screw in bulbs each (or 3 each since I broke 2 bulbs). The problem I have with those is that they are not portable so I can't really use them outside and I often like to take macro photos and videos of insects on a set indoors but I can't always get the lights in the right places to get the best results, especially since the camera tripod legs and the light stand legs get in the way of eachother. Plus the bulbs get hot and I feel the heat when using them, so its especially not great for warmer days and the heat disturbs the insects so they move around too much.

As well as that, I often sell a lot of different items and need to photograph them and do that on a table but getting the light in the right place is tricky especially as I mentioned with the tripod legs getting in the way of eachother.

I am looking for a better solution, something I can use on my camera that has a high CRI and low heat and will give me enough light for what I am doing and also be battery powered so I can use it wherever I need to on my camera and if it had mains power too that would be a plus for indoors but I don't need that if it had a good battery life.

Since I use a Shotgun mic mounted on the cameras shoe mount when shooting videos, I can't directly mount a light on the shoe of the camera. I can't find where I saw them now, but I once saw a ring light that screwed onto the lens filter thread that I thought may work, but I am unsure since I use a Variable ND filter to control exposure when shooting videos.

Can anyone help? Looking for a light I can get in the UK.

-- hide signature --

If find that the best way to live life, is not in the pursuit of material possessions, but its to live in the pursuit of making positive differences to both other people and to the planet as a whole and if you can get others to do similar or the same, so much the better.

DNature's gear list:DNature's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 600D Panasonic GH5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +9 more
Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow