FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 2,272
Re: FPL worst camera of the year.

Alice732 wrote:

FDecker wrote:

Alice732 wrote:

FDecker wrote:

Alice732 wrote:

jande9 wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/7300010169/dpreview-tv-best-and-worst-photo-video-gear-2021?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

Both worst video camera and worst still camera.

Harsh.

Jan

I would agree, it's basically a slightly cheaper way to get the A7RIV sensor, with tones of compromises.

I would spend more and get an A7RIV any day.

The new sensor just adds more problems to the original fp

• no IBIS very hard to take advantage of the pixel density
  • even slower readout speed further compounding the no mechanical shutter problem
  • even slower readout speed making video unusable, which was like half the selling point of the camera

It's a senseless product, they would've done so much better if they put the A7SIII sensor in it, which we now know is quad-bayer. So how about you put that in, and also enable the full 48mp mode as an option, that would actually make the camera better instead of worse.

I don't think so. It is a cheaper way to get the A7RIV sensor. And you can use L-mount lenses. And you get a very modular camera system.

Yea but there's no reason to use L-Mount when E-Mount has better cheaper lenses.

The downsides are clear as well, the slow readout speed for stills images being the worst in my point of view. IBIS can be replaced with stabilized lenses,

No it can't, many of the best lenses available on both L and E mount aren't stabilized.

even though I accept that IBIS can be more effective and can be used with every lense.

Readout speed for video is fast enough. 30 fps in 4k and 120 fps in Full HD. I wouldn't call this unusable. Or do you?

yes I do, it's by far the slowest of any mirrorless camera.

You may want to check this again. The Sony A7RIV has exactly the same specs for video.

check what again? Yes the A7RIV has the same readout speed so what?

It's still vastly better everywhere else.

It is perfectly OK that you have your opinion about the fp L. And I already accepted the shortcomings.Especially the real technical shortcomings. My answer was specifically about your statement that the fp L is "unusable" for video.

It is as fast as the A7RIV in video frame rate. and, yes, the more modern Canon R5 is considerably faster (with only 2/3 of the pixels to deal with). But the fp L is for sure useable for video. And the prices (in Europe) for the cameras is 4700€ R5, 4000€ A7RIV, 2700€ fp L (already including the EVF).

I wanted you to check your statemant that the fp L is the slowest of any mirrorless camera (for video, because this was what the post was about).

And, yes, your opinion or evaluation, that you don't like the fp L or would choose e.g. the A7RIV any time over it, is valid. Others like it. This is also valid.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
i8z
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow