Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

Hardware unboxed is a good channel to keep an eye on. This is for X570 AMD boards but it'll give you an idea of the kinda tests they do:

https://youtu.be/_7PkZwY9PWM

And for that last bit you're right about the i9 and OCing it.  But stock it's pretty fast and while you're putting a greater stress on it and the other components they should all be within spec if you get a board with some decent VRM's.  I'm guessing that it won't be hit with extended all core workloads all the time?  I mean that's one of the nice things about photo editing that while a lot of it needs fast CPU's only a few steps really stress the whole thing.  So going up to the D15's limits while not ideal isn't a deal breaker.  The i7 just makes for an easier build which is why I like it.

Also I don't think you'd be in the same boat as your friend with the i7 since 10th gen while giving you more cores was still Skylake so if you had an OC one for most of those lightly threaded tasks you likely wouldn't see a big difference going to 10th gen.  The i7 Alderlake is a big jump from there, going from that to i9 won't be as big but every bit does help.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow