A7C and 50GM as an everyday carry?

Started Nov 24, 2021 | Discussions thread
gobucks83 Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: A7C and 50GM as an everyday carry?

ZilverHaylide wrote:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned the Sigma 105 macro, which I'm thinking of getting for the A7Riv I currently own, care to elaborate on the handling-egonomics, AF, and performance of that combination? Thanks.

Sure.  Like I said, I find it kind of unwieldy to use handheld for extended periods of time - it's just really long and front heavy, so it really makes my wrist hurt the next day.  I bought a Mieke grip extender, and that did help somewhat, although it's still not super comfortable.  I think it's pretty typical for a macro lens though - the Sony is almost the exact same size, albeit about 100g lighter.  The AF is also kind disappointing.  It does fine in good lighting, not the fastest or quietest but it works well enough.  In low or even moderate light though, it really struggles, often blowing right past your subject and going through the whole focus range (be sure to use the focus limiter).  Obviously for macro stuff, MF is often easier anyway.

That being said, I am still glad I bought the lens.  It's the sharpest lens I own, and the almost complete lack of fringing gives the images a great pop and really nice rendering.  Build quality is fantastic, as you'd expect from Sigma's art lineup.  And it's cheap.  If you need a macro (I needed one for a new kid), it's a good choice; I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you want it to do double duty as a portrait lens though.

gobucks83's gear list:gobucks83's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow