Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Jayster18 New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

robbo2 wrote:

If you want 2000mm and decent image quality (better by a little, I think, than the SX40), the P950 is a good choice. However, it weighs over 2 pounds, which is an obstacle for some. I have the 3-pound plus P1000, so the P950 is lighter and smaller. If I wanted to take a close-up picture of someone in a crowd 100+ meters from me (probably 150 meters plus), I would take a P950. I used to go to track meets in Eugene, Oregon. A famous coach was sitting in the stands on the opposite side of the track. I was able to get a decent shot of him with a P900, the predecessor to the P1000 and P950. Yes, you could use a DSLR or MFT camera with a big zoom lens. It will be bigger and weigh much more. If you are close enough it may work. If you can rent a P950, give it a try. The P900 is a decent camera, too, but its EVF is too small for me, and there are now RAW files with it.

MPB, which I have good experience with, has a used P950 in excellent condition for $719. KEH doesn't have any for sale right now.

NikonUSA store has none on sale, but they are on backorder.

Thanks.  I'm going to keep my eye on the NikonUSA store for a refurbished P950, as I have been doing for the past week or two.  In the meantime, I have an RX10 IV on order from Amazon.  With the holidays, I have until January 31st to return it if I don't like it.  If Amazon (not one of its resellers) gets a P950 (either new or used) in, I might try that too so I can compare the two.  It sounds to me like one of those two is probably my best way to go.  Though I have to confess that the price of the FZ80 is so relatively low that I'm tempting to get one of those if I end up with the RX10 so that I have a secondary camera with a bit of a longer reach.  I guess it all will depend on the quality of the enhanced digital zoom on the RX10 IV.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow