Finding Your Personal Style/Aesthetic?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hippophile
Hippophile Forum Member • Posts: 90
Finding Your Personal Style/Aesthetic?

Hi,

So I would ideally like to spark a discussion about the (for me, confusing) topic of finding a photographer's personal style and aesthetic.

In my mind, finding a niche and finding a style intertwine, so I apologize if this is confusing or difficult to follow.

I would like monetize my photography eventually, and before I do that, I would like to find my niche and style. I enjoy still-life photography, nature, and some portraits, but that's not really my thing. For the most part, it's just photos of my family members.

But regarding a portfolio, a photographer's work should have a central theme running through it, correct? Genre, editing style, etc.

A portfolio should express just what the photographer does and what a customer can expect. How do you go about finding that style? Just experiment until you discover something special that you lean towards, and develop that, just as I've done with my niche(s)?

Am I just overthinking all of this? Should it be to shoot what you like, then post what matches a certain style and leave the rest for enjoyment purposes? I have a tendency to rationalize and solidify abstract concepts that are difficult for me to grasp.

Hippophile's gear list:Hippophile's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow