PC-E Micro Nikkor 85/2.8D

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Ozark Bill New Member • Posts: 20
Re: PC-E Micro Nikkor 85/2.8D

I use the Canon 90 mm version. Like the previous person mentioned, they only get to 1:2 but they are incredibly sharp lenses. Near perfection in my opinion. I think these lenses work best on the level of large flowers to whole plants and products for their macro work. This lens really shines for me in the “intimate landscapes” arena, which is what I use it the most for.

I would not recommend this lens for insect and other smaller subjects as your primary macro lens for the following reasons. First, nothing about these lenses are quick and light. For the most part, all your work with one of these will be on a tripod. Second, the benefits you get from the tilting action decrease dramatically with increased focal length and magnification. You can control DOF plane, for sure, but don’t expect miracles.

All said, I love mine for slow detailed work with plants and intimate landscapes and I may eventually buy the 135mm tilt shift down the line, but I’ll never give up my 180 mm for insect and high mag work.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow