Thom got a Z9 to test

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
chambeshi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,253
Re: Thom got a Z9 to test

Agree fully. He mentioned recently he worked in PC industry, and this included executive role on customer feedback interface etc

He presumably lives off his ebooks, workshops, educational tours etc

Although he himself described himself as a cumudgeon (!) he's proven to be honest and trustworthy for reliable reviews and his ebooks are a bargain. Actually, it is a good thing he steers clear youtube

Z6User wrote:

{snip...}

Actually I think Thom Hogan's business is tightly tied to Nikon. I sort of know Thom and communicate with him once in a while. I know he reads these forums

He certainly does. I’m not convinced views here are typical of Nikon users though.

and occasionally I receive feedback from him on my comments here. It is obvious that Thom's income includes referrals to B&H purchases through his web site and his eBooks. Thom also leads photo trips, which are seriously affected by Covid, and recently he is doing on-line photo courses that charge a fee.

It is very much in Thom's interest to promote Nikon so that people purchase from B&H through his referral links and purchase his Nikon eBooks. I am sure Thom has enough integrity that he is not going to falsely promote Nikon or other products. However, in the last decade or so, I found Thom's overly critical comments on Nikon very puzzling because, in term, that has to affect his book sales.

Puzzling? Not necessarily.

He doesn’t just review gear, he also comments on Nikon from a business perspective. He long since predicted the huge decline in market share that we see today. For years he was critical of Nikon’s strategy, and their poor marketing. He is obviously an engineer, as well as having business experience, and he clearly has a high opinion of Nikon products. He often compliments their engineering. He simply says it as he sees it. I know he has given presentations in Japan to Nikon execs at his own suggestion. I believe he wants to influence Nikon for the better. Of course Japanese culture is very different from American, and I suspect they see him as lacking deference, of being too direct. The Japanese are far more conservative, less innovative, than Americans. He probably ruffles more than a few feathers.

Recently we have seen Nikon paying far more attention to marketing, and introducing smaller lenses, suitable for DX cameras. Hogan has wanted them to do both things for years now. It looks to me as if the marked decline in market share has hit home, and they are doing some of the things that he suggested, Coincidence? Maybe they didn’t listen to him, but his suggestions may turn out to have been the medicine that was required to get the patient back into rude health.

Remember Nikon officially announced the Z9 on October 28, 2021. A few days later, Paul's Photo, a camera store in the Los Angeles area, invited Thom to do an on-line session on the Z9 and posted the recording to YouTube on November 3.

He might have wanted to do his bit to help a local shop, times are hard. Just a guess.

That video is 2 hours and 43 minutes long. I have to admit that I did not sit through nearly 3 hours, but I watched a significant portion of that video, in which Paul's Photo asked people to pre-order and threw in a free CFexpress card as incentive.

https://youtu.be/R5CO7S2XiTU

A day after that video was posted to YouTube, this was what I wrote to Thom Hogan via e-mail: "I watched significant parts of your video with Paul's Photo. You sounded a lot more positive about Nikon in the video, compared to your web site. The video is quite informative, but almost 3 hours is very long."

It was indeed long. I found it interesting to see and hear the Chief Gringe himself, he’s a lot more animated and positive in person. Then again, if you run safaris and photo trips, you have to have a likeable personality.

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow