A7C and 50GM as an everyday carry?

Started Nov 24, 2021 | Discussions thread
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 9,893
Re: A7C and 50GM as an everyday carry?

jhunna wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

jhunna wrote:

Soooo.....

My current everyday carry (EDC) is the A7C, Sony 20/2.8 apsc, and a HVL-f28RM flash. Not the best quality, but certainly fast enough and good enough for street shooting and candids for instant printing.

But now I have a problem, I got the GM, and that is literally the ONLY lens with which I want to shoot. It is heavier, and I actually care more about damaging it. If you are using this set up (or even the 35GM as an EDC) how are you protecting your gear? Do people notice you more with the larger lens? Is your angst up when using this lens vs being carefree in a way you would when you are shooting with lesser equipment?

Thoughts?

An APS-C 20mm and 50/1.2 create a pretty odd setup. For not much more money you could buy:

• 20/1.8
  • 35/1.8
  • 55/1.8
  • 85/1.8

And have an awesome kit that covers every use case outside of extreme wide angle (interiors, cityscapes) and wildlife/nature.

As to protection, I have a small messenger bag with a couple of padded dividers.

Unless you're carrying around a 70-200/2.8, I don't you'll be any more noticeable than you are with any DSLR/mirrorless and a typical lens.

I have the 20/1.8, 50/1.8 and the 85/1.8. I am trying to reduce my lens to the bare minimum. One 50/1.2 GM will get me most of the looks I want. I will probably keep my 20/1.8 G and add 135/1.8GM. I have the apsc 16-55/2.8 and the 70-350apsc for my zooms.

I want a light but high IQ kit, the 50 and 135 GMs don't fit that qualification, but I won't wonder if I can get better image quality.
I like the idea of adding a padded divider pocket to my messenger bag so that i can keep my current mesenger bag.

Tenba's BYOB & Peak's Camera Cubes are both useful options in that vein, tho there's cheaper alternatives like ApeCase's Cubeze line (I've owned/gifted/liked all 3, there's many more like F-stop's ICUs, etc.). They might be overkill for a small body + a single lens tho, depending on the bag and what else ya got in there, that's why I pointed to the Domke & Tenba wraps in an earlier comment.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow