Can anyone identify this lens/mount? Navitar Raptar 24mm F2.8

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
OP rkc Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Navitar and Raptar: what's in a name?

ProfHankD wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

Interesting. None of my SR/MC/MD Minoltas (that were handy to check) say China, but most of my collection is older (SRTs and an XK). That still lines up with the "for different markets" impression I had of the collaboration.

Those Minolta branded cameras made in China were not made for the Chinese market, they were made for Minolta to be sold worldwide

That's not what the link you pointed at said. It said they were primarily stripped-down models targeting lower-end markets -- not just China, but not commonly the USA either.

remain convinced that the Navitar and Raptar names on the OP lens are basically fraudulent, which strongly suggests it was NOT a lens authorized by Minolta.

I did not see anyone suggesting that the OP's lens was authorised by Minolta.

Where did you get that idea from ?

You earlier said "So I suspect that the lens is exactly the same as the Seagull MD mount version but with that odd variant." I don't think it's a Seagull lens; Minolta would not have been happy (I'd expect lawsuit-level unhappy) with Seagull putting somebody else's brand (Navitar) on one of their lens designs. That said, it might well have come from a factory that also made Seagull lenses.

In truth, we'll probably never know: even then, branding and manufacturers was a many-to-many mapping. Beyond that, China is not generally known for diligence in policing copyrights and trademarks.

For what it's worth, my current guess is that it's a genuine Navitar product - they have a line called Raptar, which is described as follows (see http://wjmvs.com/products/lens/navitar/ )

Navitar’s 50 mm Raptar lens is the perfect solution to machine vision applications that require a large sensor and lens combination. The 50 mm Raptar is an alternative to the traditional SLR camera lenses which are not manufactured to withstand environments traditionally found in industrial applications.

♦ Ideal for use with full frame 11- and 16-megapixel sensors.
♦ Manual iris and focus control.
♦ Robust mechanical design.
♦ Positive, single point, focus and iris locks.
♦ Standard F-bayonet with option of M42 or C-mount.
♦ Covers 43 mm diagonal sensor.

If I was wanting to create a lens with such a spec, it doesn't seem unreasonable to base it on an old manual focus lens design, or to get a Chinese manufacturer with experience of creating such lenses to make it for me...

-- hide signature --

Richard

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rkc
rkc
rkc
rkc
rkc
rkc
rkc
rkc
rkc
rkc
rkc
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow