flash? any other tips?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SamNC Contributing Member • Posts: 619
flash? any other tips?

First, I am not sure if this is improvable or fixable, but I will give it a shot for you all...

I want to get some good x-mas photos.  I live in a town that takes X-mas very seriously, and we have a ton of huge trees on the main street all lit up.  My goal here was to get some family shots with the lights totally obliterated in the background.  I used a D500 and 105 f/1.4, handheld.   I know a tripod is best, and I will use that or a monopod in the future.   I think my ss was about about 1/200 and ISO was cranked up to about ISO 6400 or 8000, which can be resolved with a tripod of monopod.  I know there is some noise in the image, but I am not **that** worried about it, as the largest I am probably going to print up here is 5x7 or so.

Anyway, my real question here was about the lighting.  I want the lights on the tree to look something like what you have seen here, and to do this, I put my kid a bit far infront of the tree.  This means that the lighting is off because he is further away from the glow of the tree. I would like to bump up his contrast with perhaps  a flash.  Any ideas if this could be pulled off?  I have a small diffuser that could go on my SB700 Nikon flash, but not sure if that would be much of a help.  I of course dont want him to look unnatural with the flash.

Any suggestions will  be appreciated!

Also, from a composition side do you like the idea of the lights way above him?  I really wanted to get that background in, as I thought the background of the blown out lights would look good and wanted to emphasize it.  Or, do you think it would look best if I cropped out the top third or so of the image to reduce the amount of blurred lights?

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow