New Test Of EVF "suppress frame rate" setting

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,950
New Test Of EVF "suppress frame rate" setting

I did some more testing to see if the check mark in place on the EVF Suppress the frame rate made some differences. Found 2 things of interest. I used my R5 with the RF24-240 attached for this test.

* When you have a RF24-240 lens as an example on and single point focus and Servo mode on. In lower light moving across objects one will notice that the view in the EVF indeed does NOT degrade when moving around finding the subject. So indeed that function works........HOWEVER.
* I went into my office with no light on and just some minor daylight peeking in. I aimed the RF24-240 at a compartment below my printer where some boxes of paper are stored and it is lacking much light. I extended the 24-240 lens beyond 200mm to try to get a closer shot in poor light and it refused to focus. It literally did the lock up failure to focus you would experience IF you have your setting in the AF section set to stop instead of continuing to try to focus if it's unsuccessful. So I UNCHECKED the EVF suppress slow frame rate and voila! It then at full extension focused instant and just fine. So that box being checked will mess with some focusing capabilities. I wonder if Canon even knows this. So needless to say I'm leaving it UNchecked. I'm not so worried about some minor stair stepping in the view of the EVF in lower light so much as messing with focus functionality. Glad I ran across this test as I thought at first it had merit to use. But no way at any expense of the functionality of the focusing.

By all means do your own confirmations and you'll see I think that checked box would be a liability

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +19 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow