A surreal journey in a Suspended Sicily

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Zatopekk New Member • Posts: 16
A surreal journey in a Suspended Sicily

Over the last years I've been shooting Sicily and the surrounding islands. Asking myself:
what do I photograph and why? What attracts me most? Why does a scene capture my attention? Why does a certain subject become so irresistible? These are the questions I’ve always asked myself since I started taking pictures.

The visual field we see is, somehow, a mirror of our own mind. Maybe we truly see our mind.

So it is interesting, for me, to use photography in order to see what my mind produces in places that for me are so familiar, as they belong to my homeland. And the result is a sequence of images exploring what is far from the usual Mediterranean or Sicilian stereotypes. These are not winking postcards, conveying a glossed-over image of a land full of art and culture. Neither do we see iconic visions of black-dressed mamas, godfathers and religious festivals. These are visual sketches of my own interior landscapes. Places where “The City is as old as Time and continuous with it”¹, where every place has been (or is going to be) colonized by man-made artefacts. Suspended: between past and future, sky and earth, as suspended as the buildings and structures that seem to grow up, spontaneously, from a common soil. In turning my "mindscapes" into reality, in choosing my subjects, I’ve created, without a deliberate decision, a time-jumping effect. Passing from the unfinished, to ruins; incomplete buildings and to-be projects. These are reconquered spaces, wounds in the present, delirious projections into the future.

Now this project turned into a book with texts by Franco Carlisi and Joel Meyerowitz.

Glad to share it with you,

This is the cover of the book

On of the images inside

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow