Reasons you went w Canon vs Sony?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
camedia Forum Member • Posts: 50
Reasons you went w Canon vs Sony?

I’m switching into mirrorless and coming from Nikon, so am basically starting fresh.

I would love to hear why people prefer the Canon system over Sony as it is basically a long term decision.  (I get the invested in lenses reason but its not relevant for me)

In full disclosure I bought a R5 but am still within my return window.  I mostly do travel, family and some wildlife (Safari).

My only concern has been that overall the Sony kit seems always a bit lighter, and that is one of the main reasons I’m changing - weight often led me to just go w my phone.  Their dynamic range also seems to get higher scores on DxOMark but I’ve been fine w the R5 to date.  It is also slightly annoying that the R5 doesn’t have two of the same card, its a minor thing but feels a bit of a reflection of overall philosophy since Sony seems to do two of the same quick makes more sense to me.

Today, I’d probably get the A7IV which was just released.  Don’t think the A1 is worth it for what I do.

But would appreciate comments more generally on the system, cameras will come and go. Lenses stay longer but I sort of assume over time they will be quite similar.

One near term con for Sony is that their current 24-70 seems older and not as good as the RF, but seems they will refresh it and suspect it will end up being lighter and improved (like their 70-200 refresh).  I use the 24-70 for over 80% of my shooting so its an important factor.

Not unhappy at all w the R5, just would welcome some reassurance to be sure about Canon as its a big long term decision.

Thanks!

Canon EOS R5 Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
(unknown member)
KEG
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow