Thom got a Z9 to test

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 2,288
Re: Thom got a Z9 to test

ProDude wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

First of all, Nikon priced the Z9 low. I thought it should be higher than the $6500 Sony A1, which has no built-in vertical grip. The problem with marketing too hard and you cannot deliver is that after 3, 4 months of waiting, you will have a lot of impatient, angry customers, especially those who have paid a deposit. It will give Nikon a bad reputation and those customers could be poached by other brands, if alternatives are available.

I was saying this all along and many beat me up over it like it's not a real possibility. I do feel if Nikon delivers many in December they will be virtual heroes. If they fall then like you said it will not bode well for them. Their marketing has gotten the delivery to a fevered pitch so they'd better deliver.

Nah, Nikon have several advantages in this regard. For one thing, the faithful that remain know that products like the D850 and 500mm PF have taken months to be in stock, if not more (the D850 has finally cleared its US stock woes in 2021!). For another, customers have already been desensitized to wait times and product shortages across all sorts of markets - toys, containers, computer parts, etc. have all been hit by Covid. Also, if the Z9 is everything that it purports to be, demand will remain high for a long time. Say, even if a potential Canon R1 were announced in mid-2022, it’d probably be available only in 2023, considering how screwed up everything is. That kind of wait can and often does drive people to consider whatever’s available, and by then I expect the Z9 to be sitting all pretty in inventory.

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon Z7 Canon EOS RP +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow