Pick the best: 4 AI driven de-noise apps compared

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Reto B
Reto B Senior Member • Posts: 2,226
Pick the best: 4 AI driven de-noise apps compared

I work with DxO PureRaw and sometimes with Topaz Denoise AI to reduce noise in high ISO images. Recently I also downloaded the test versions of DxO PhotoLab 5 and On1 NoNoise AI to compare them.

The good news: you can produce good results with all four of them, but the DxO apps IMHO outperform the others.

Thus the question remains whether to get PureRaw or PL5. Well, it depends. If all you want is the de-noise function and the optical correction then PureRaw is all you need from my point of view. For me personally PureRaw was the right decision. If you want to stick to your current editor I thus recommend to get PureRaw. If in doubt you can download the test versions at DxO and find out for yourself what's better for you.

The main difference for noise reduction between the two DxO apps is that PL5 offers two sliders to adjust the amount of the sharpness and the geometric correction, while PureRaw "only" offers an on/off switch for these two functions.

Concerning sharpness I like to sharpen as the very last step and I have my own reliable methods to do so. Therefore I switched off sharpening in both apps. Geometric correction is just fine as it is on default and I did not get better results when using the slider. Therefore I don't need these two sliders of PL5. But as I said before: test it for yourself!

Now to the comparison: Please choose the best version. Once we have enough votes I will reveal which apps were used:

The uncorrected, underexposed photo at ISO 12800.

Side by side, A and B left top and bottom, C and D right top and bottom.

A

B

C

D

Happy voting

Cheers,
Reto

Reto B's gear list:Reto B's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
POLL
A
26.5% 13  votes
B
6.1% 3  votes
C
40.8% 20  votes
D
26.5% 13  votes
  Show results
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow