EOS R6 amp glow ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP mermaidkiller Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
Re: EOS R6 amp glow ?

Tristimulus wrote:

Do you really need 5 minute sub exposures?

Would think so for narrowband imaging. But for ordinary astrophotography I see very little difference between 30 sec and 1 min subs.

Shorter that 15 sec subs are visible lacking and 2 min subs brings no extras to the table.

Have a moderately light polluted site. At a dark site sub exposures can be increased.

Those long sub exposures are a remnant from the CCD era when read noise was a real problem. CMOS with read noise in the 1-2 electrons range have changed that. Just try for yourself to find the personal sweet spot.

Indeed, with the R6 I made mostly 2 minute in narrowband (L-eNhance) subs which show barely any amp glow. What there was in the very lower right edge, I edited it away with Photoshop.
With my 6D I sometimes shot 4 minutes for narrowband and got the red nebulas nicely, despite it is not modded. The R6 performs even better as I now do more subs with shorter exposure per sub.

Worst case scenario is adding dark frames which eliminate the amp glow.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d ... r6

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R6 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow