anybody using those fast, compact Voigtlander MF primes like 35/1.4?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alex Notpro
Alex Notpro Senior Member • Posts: 1,012
anybody using those fast, compact Voigtlander MF primes like 35/1.4?

Voigtlander makes a series of fast Manual Focus primes that are also very compact - 35, 40, 50, at both 1.2 and 1.4. Is anybody shooting these? I did find some samples of the 40/1.2 in this forum, but was hoping for more, especially the 35/1.4. Searching other photo sites, I find mostly these lenses mounted on Leicas, not Sony A7x's.

Here's my dilemma.

I'm a big fan of shallow DoF for environmental portraits on 35mm fast primes, but I find the Sony Distagon Zeiss 35/1.4 a bit limiting due to its physical dimensions (too noticeable and intimidating, hard to bring along to non-photography events without drawing unwanted attention in some situations). I also have the 35/2.8 which is easier to carry but I use it even less because... f/2.8 is just not enough for some of the shots I want to take.

I'm aware a new 35/1.4 G-master was just launched. Unfortunately I don't think it changes enough to solve the problem of having to leave the f/1.4 at home due to its physical dimensions. And that's before I even look at the price tag.

So I've been thinking of getting a 35/1.4 or 35/1.2 Voigtlander, which is just as compact as the 35/2.8, but manual focus. The 35/1.4 could even fit in my pocket if I temporarily swap it out for the 35/2.8 for some autofocus shots, and vice-versa, the 35/2.8 fits back in pocket for when I really need f/1.4.

I'm hobbyist which means I don't do scheduled/posed photo shoots, I just bring my camera along to various activities and events unrelated to photography.

Is anybody here using these lenses in the manner I describe? What has been your experience? How good are the resulting photos?

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow