Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,782
Re: Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

dperez wrote:

Same question for the AMD... What are the great options for motherboards for this type of setup? Since the 5950X is limited to DDR4 memory I presume overall it'd be cheaper to build, but not as capable as the Intel (according to Puget)

5950x and high quality DDR4 is very capable. For the type of applications you will be using, that would be plenty

. And is there a really good tower cooler for the AMD? 'Cause again, I'd rather NOT have to mess with water cooling.

I am using the Lian Li Lancool ii Mesh Performance.  It is highly rated among reviews.  Check YT and Google search.   The whole rig runs very well and cool.  I am using the Noctua D15s on a 5900x.   My CPU don't runs higher than 75 deg C while running Prime95.  Quite superb!

The budget isn't unlimited, but neither is it so constrained that I want to end up with a disappointing system... Thoughts?

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow