Is infrared 35mm film developed using the same process as regular black and white film?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RJDG14 Regular Member • Posts: 142
Is infrared 35mm film developed using the same process as regular black and white film?

I've bought a working Canon EOS 1000 SLR from c.1990 on eBay for under £10 along with 3 reels of 36-exposure infrared film for £15, since I've come to realise that it's difficult to take infrared photos on most DSLRs without expensive and/or risky modification to the sensor, and have been wanting to get into film photography for a while (currently the only working 35mm camera I have is an early 1990s Olympus point and shoot with no little image control). I want to ask if black and white infrared film is generally developed the same way as regular black and white film, or does it require different chemicals to develop?

I also want to ask if it would be better to develop the film myself or send it via mail to a decent online film processing service that can return my negatives? I know that you can buy self development kits, but don't know if it's worth the money and whether I'll destroy the film during development.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow