Versatile focal length range and surprisingly sharp!

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
matt lit
matt lit Forum Member • Posts: 73
Versatile focal length range and surprisingly sharp!

I initially owned the 18-55 f2.8~4 "kit" lens. First off, I can't speak highly enough about that lens. I've never worked with a kit lens of this build AND image quality let alone the fastest variable aperture of any lens in the 18-55 zoom range. I teach photography in a college program and through workshops and can state that with confidence after examining thousands of images from Canon and Nikon 18-55 kit lenses.

Now about this gem of a lens. In October 2020 I flipped my canoe and (due to my river-proofing errors) killed my cameras and lenses - including my trusty 18-55 Fujinon. I began looking at a full system replacement and decided I wanted a more versatile lens than the 18-55 could provide. My main lenses for this are primes. However, when hiking I prefer a convenient zoom. This lens fit my requirements very well...a decent wide focal length...the equivalent of a 200mm at it's long setting, image stabilization and still reasonably compact.

I went into this lens knowing it was rated not as sharp as the 18-55. However, I'm blown away by its sharpness. I can't give you bench results. If you want that you know where to find them. I'm not a pixel-peeper. I'm just a photographer who has spent his life as a pro and an educator.

If you're seeking a versatile, reasonably fast (for the money and design) and surprisingly sharp lens you won't be disappointed.

X-Pro 2, 18-135, f11 @125th (-1.67), ISO400

image © 2021 matt lit mattlitphoto.com

-- hide signature --

from the base of Colorado's Continental Divide...

fotomatt
www.MattLitPhoto.com
www.ColoradoDogPhotography.com

www.ArapahoeBasinPhotos.com

www.HolgaToyCamera.com
IG: @ColoradoDogPhoto

Twit: @MattLitPhoto

matt lit's gear list:matt lit's gear list
Holga 120N Medium Format Plastic Camera Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon D750 +18 more
Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Lens • Fujifilm X • 16432853
Announced: Jun 16, 2014
matt lit's score
Average community score
Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow