For those who don't like the X100's...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bastibe Contributing Member • Posts: 721
For those who don't like the X100's...

...but do like compact cameras and the 35 mm (equivalent) viewpoint:

Then you are probably like me. Because I just didn't get along with the X100T. The OVF's parallax made me miss shots, the body is surprisingly chunky, but the lens too tiny to grab, and that close-up haze was a let-down. I wanted to like the camera, I really did, but it didn't work out between us.

So instead, I went two other ways, and if you're like me, maybe you'll enjoy them as much as I do:

The Ricoh GR III is not a 35 mm equivalent, but it has a crop mode that produces 16 MP 35 mm images that rival anything my X100T could produce. Not in depth of field, of course (cropped, it's equivalent to a 23 f/3.5 APS-C). But the camera is absolutely tiny, fits in pants pockets, has (weak) stabilization, is super fast to turn on and shoot, and can be used one-handed. To be fair, it completely lacks a viewfinder, autofocus is not great, and battery life mediocre. Still, I prefer my GR III over the X100T in every way. Highly recommended!

The Sony RX1 is a 35 mm f/2 full-frame fixed-lens compact camera from 2012. These days, used prices are roughly similar to X100T's or X100F's. Again, no viewfinder and a small battery. But the lens this time is a completely different beast. Physically, because it sticks out, and offers tactile control wheels for aperture and focus that I vastly prefer over the X100's tiny ring things. But optically as well, with a one-stop brighter (equivalent) aperture, and a more classy rendering, to my taste. It is a ten-year-old camera, however. There's no touch screen, autofocus is not particularly fast, and low light performance is no longer ahead of APS-C despite the larger sensor. Still, I find the camera a joy to use, and there is something about the camera and its pictures that inspires me in the way the X100T didn't.

But please don't take this as a diss on the X100 series of cameras. They are wonderful devices that can produce great pictures. They just were not for me.

bastibe's gear list:bastibe's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sony RX1 Panasonic LX100 II +5 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100T Leica X1 Ricoh GR III Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow