Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
NickZ2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,595
Re: Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

dperez wrote:

SO... Looking at cost, performance, overclocking, reliability, etc - am I better with the Intel I9-12900KF or the AMD Ryzen 5950X? And why?

Motherboards for the Intel CPU seem to fall into 2 camps - expensive, like the $600 ASUS ROG Hero that are full of tweaks for gaming, and less expensive but I suspect not as capable $300 motherboards. Is there a motherboard that would be optimal for this type of application that's extremely capable, has easy, great overclocking, AND is cost effective or do I just shut up and buy the ASUS hero and be done with it?

A KF CPU is false economy especially  if you're thinking about video. Don't cheap out getting the F CPU. Quick Sync is only on the IGPU and it'll do things literally nothing else (outside of some Apple machines) can do.

If you get a camera that uses those features you'll regret not having the IGPU.

Locally Asus is having cash back on it's motherboards.  Looking at the webpage the Hero if you buy a 12900K gets you €120 back. Considering it comes with onboard Thunderboard and a NVME card that supports an additional two drives just those two features  can mean the board isn't expensive. Obviously you need the features but last I checked just a thunderbolt 4 add in card would add around 200 to a lower end motherboard.

I'm not sure which Hero features you think are gaming oriented. But if you're overclocking (you likely don't need to) everything from the number of fan headers, safe boot, LED screen so you don't have to rely on the four LED error lights are all positives.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow