Another "Time to upgrade" - 12900 vs 5950 and motherboards

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: Don't matter
  1. Rambow wrote:

You will be happy either way, i prefer intel because they have less issues(historically) and there are more widely used. The new cpus will crush intel 6th gen, expect like 40-50% better performance in real life.

The components are fine, i am more interested in the $300 versus $600 motherboard.

For a photo editing computer, what does a $600 motherboard do that a $300 ones doesn't?

I'm just curious. The last motherboard that i bought was a $50 "mining" mb from gigabyte with "ultradurable" technology and it works great.

Granded, for power hungry components a higher quality mobo is needed, but does it really have to be $600 worth?

Much better power delivery is a big part of it for higher overclocking. Also more features like the number of M.2 slots, how fast the networking is, some include thunderbolt, etc.

You don't need a 600 dollar one especially with just a simple overclock. For 150-250 on AMD and a little higher for Intel that's where you need to look into the VRM performance for power delivery. On the cheapest end where you are it's even more important especially with a higher wattage CPU.  There are some very solid cheap boards out there and others that are much more likely to have issues.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow