About manual focusing and spot mettering...and maybe more

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sebastian Marius New Member • Posts: 5
About manual focusing and spot mettering...and maybe more

Hello everybody,

I'm new to photography and I changed the phone to a much more serious camera not long ago. With each new experience in the field, I discover that I am better than yesterday or, on the contrary, I hit the wall and new questions come to my mind. For some questions I find the answers on my own, but for others it would help me get direction from someone with more experience than mine. My equipment consists of a Fuji X-E3 accompanied by 3 prime lenses (23mm F2, 60mm F2.4, 90mm F2) and a medium zoom lens (18-55mm F2.8-4). From the beginning I started using the camera in priority aperture mode, AF-S (especially), but later I discovered a more interesting combination to exploit the capabilities of the camera: aperture priority, Spot Metering and almost exclusively I rely on manual focus. Although it seems to be a slower method of taking pictures, I'm getting better with each passing day. The introduction being made, I will now turn to the problems that trouble me:

1) I use manual focus because I am afraid to focus and then recompose for fear that the subject is out of focus. It is clear that focusing and then recomposing would mean speed, but I wonder if this way of working is subject to error only at large aperture and short distance from the subject ... Is it?

2) I have not yet tried to take pictures of a moving subject based on manual focus; until I do some tests, I wonder if the method of focusing on an area you anticipate the subject will reach is the most appropriate to take the picture.

3) Although I don't use the exposure compensation button very often, I wonder if its functionality can't be replaced, to a very large extent, by using the camera in Spot Metering mode; basically if you need more or less light in a scene, position the camera so that it can read light from any area you want (brighter or darker). Am I wrong?

4) Although I think it's great to use the spot metering mode and make a scene appear exactly the way I want it to be, am I not exaggerating with this method? I mean you can make various corrections in an editing software, if you haven't burned the bright areas too much.

For now, that's all, but I may come back with other questions, depending on the answers I received.

Best regards.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow