*** This Week Through Your Eyes 2021.12.04 ***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
kaphinga
kaphinga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,952
More from Egypt

Just flitting back and forth between Egypt and Istanbul. This week's selection is from Egypt.

1. Saqqara

Last year we visited the pyramids at Giza, Dashur and Saqqara on the same day.  By the time we arrived at Saqqara, we were pretty much out of time.  This year we skipped the Great Pyramids at Giza and instead spent the whole day at Saqqara.  Most of the pyramids at Saqqara are considerably smaller than at Giza, but the variety and interior decorations gave us a much better feel for the history of the Old Kingdom.

2. Nileometer in Cairo.

Nileometers, which measure the height of the floodwaters on the Nile, are located at various spots along the river.  This one, built sometime in the 9th century, is particularly elaborate.   This stairs on the left side were narrow, steep, uneven, and totally lacking a handrail.  My guide kept saying "don't look down" as we descended.  (And, oh yeah, this was just one of many places where the only camera they allowed was a phone.)

3. Nileometer detail

4. Corniche in Luxor

5. Tailors in Esna

6. Another dahabiya parked next to us one morning

7. Random scene on the Nile

8. In Daraw

9. Another from Daraw -- We were only there for a few hours.  I was in photographic heaven and could have spent days there.

10.  Aswan -- The background is a huge boulder in the Nile.  This was a bit of a crop from a larger photo.  I missed it entirely on the first pass through my images.  I think I shot it as we were passing by on a felucca.

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Apple iPhone 11 Pro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
yyr
(unknown member)
yyr
(unknown member)
yyr
yyr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
yyr
(unknown member)
yyr
yyr
(unknown member)
yyr
(unknown member)
yyr
tcd
tcd
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
v30
yyr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow