Thom got a Z9 to test

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
SoCalAngler Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: Thom got a Z9 to test

Ramon767 wrote:

The only thing that I wish would disappear from all camera reviews (and i know that this is a condition of the review item being provided) is the terminology “pre-production”.

Such a fudge. Clearly the thing has been mass produced on a well tooled production line and they aren’t going to beta test with reviewers.

Three decades experience developing software/firmware for devices that talk to other devices. Often provided "pre-production".

Sometimes Low Rate Initial Production (LRIP) examples that may differ significantly in hardware and software/firmware from the final production unit.

In most cases it has been the final hardware but with pre initial production software/firmware that that is still undergoing final test prior to final baseline of the first production run under contract or for commercial sales.  The hardware has already been dialed in and is in production.

I would suspect that these "pre-production" camera models are pretty much the production hardware with firmware that has not been finalized for the initial batch of sales units.    Nikon may even have boxed units ready to go with version of firmware that they believe is ready, but are preparing an update to be available as soon as vendors can put them in the hands of the buying public.

SoCalAngler's gear list:SoCalAngler's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D7100 Nikon Z5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow