Birds and Zeds

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ramon767 Regular Member • Posts: 198
Birds and Zeds

I currently use a D500 and 200-500 and sometimes a 70-200 for birds, and can’t particularly fault the D500 at this point, maybe a little ISO heavy.

I also have a bit of zed gear, and had the view that i’d  swap over.

I’d like a better lens for birds and the dilemma is:

- 500PF, a nice improvement, but perhaps not a game changer, gear wise. The advantage here is the bodies obviously exist.

- 100-400Z, even Ricci isn’t sure. Don’t know if it’s exciting with a teleconverter.

- 200-600, we don’t know a lot other than it’s probably a slightly improved 200-500. It may come with a Z D500 version.

- The other Z teles, the two that could be a Pf, we don’t know much about, but I’m guessing that they’ll be fairly cost effective.

For all of the Z options there is really only a single body that would be awesome for birds right now although i’m aware that some people have had quite good results with the 6 and 7s.

So that leaves a bunch of Z unknowns, or the 500PF fallback in the short to medium term (and Nikon might only ever offer this PF in the 500 range, Z or F).

Whats the question? I don’t know exactly. I just don’t have any answers. It’d be nice to have a body roadmap.

Ramon767's gear list:Ramon767's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +5 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow