Christmas Lights with ZS200

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BruceDog New Member • Posts: 4
Christmas Lights with ZS200

There is a big night time Christmas display I'd like to take photos of. I am a novice with a ZS200. It's a combination of lights and sort of sculptural displays, and I'm running into the problem of getting an adequate shot that captures enough detail of the sculptural elements but still gets the lights without things being either over exposed or too shadowy.

I've tried Hand Held Night Shot mode, but it tends to try to overexpose the scene and the lights get washed out. I've gotten mediocre results pushing the ISO.

I've found some generic suggestions for Xmas lights to shoot with a tripod, but the sidewalk there tends to get a lot of foot traffic and blocking people with a tripod would be obnoxious.

To complicate things, when the weather is cold it's hard to do a lot of experimenting with different settings with gloves off. And I can't get enough zoom with my phone for some of the specific elements I'd like to capture.

Does anyone have suggestions for settings I could use for a custom C setting as a default, or a better preset mode? I realize this kind of thing involves a lot of compromises, so I'm not looking for perfection as much as a reasonably sharp, reasonably lit, reasonably colored middle ground. Thanks for any ideas.

Panasonic ZS200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow