The 28mm and 40mm completely change the Z5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Och Elo Regular Member • Posts: 291
The 28mm and 40mm completely change the Z5

I had previously used a Z5+24-50 with 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm 1.8 s lenses. I sold all that gear earlier this year. I was getting out less due to the pandemic, and I also found the lenses a tad bigger than I'd like for mirrorless. For most of this year I shot with a Leica Q exclusively.

Recently I got the GAS bug ad I've been going out more and more, so on a whim I picked up the Zfc with 28mm kit. And then on Black Friday I added a Z5 and a 40mm f/2.

It's kind of amazing, both the Zfc and the Z5 with the 2 lenses addresses all the previous issues I had not just with the Z5, but what I wanted out of mirrorless in general.

I had loved the dial based setup of the Fuji system (like the X-T2 I had a while back) but I guess I'm one of those in the minority that never really liked Fuji's colors. The much lauded film simulations always gave me results I thought weren't very film like nor realistic, and the raws didn't play well with Lightroom.

The Zfc's files I prefer since I prefer Nikon colors to Fuji. On top of that, I just like the look and the dials of the Zfc more than Fuji X-T system. So in a way I got the APS-C digital camera I always wanted.

During my previous foray with Nikon Z, I really liked the Z5. I thought it was a terrific value, lots of features (more than enough for enthusiast like me), and perfect size. Without a doubt small, but legit grip and good ergonomics (which has been my beef with the smaller Sony system). Like I said previously, it was size of lenses that I had issues with. But the 28mm and 40mm are perfect, not just in size but also because they are 2 focal lengths I love for general photography in almost any situation.

It's strange. Early on I had kind of dismissed Nikon's Z system, but Nikon has somehow delivered 2 cameras and some lenses that I had always wished for in mirrorless. At this point I'm tempted to keep both the Zfc and the Z5. Especially because it appears Nikon will release a DX 23mm lens. If it's an f/2 pancake along the lines of the EF-M 22mm f/2 Canon has had for a long time, that would be a killer lens on the Zfc, so I am hopeful for that.

Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z fc
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wpt
wpt
wpt
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow