EH-7P: What are the output voltages?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Roland Wooster Senior Member • Posts: 2,198
EH-7P: What are the output voltages?

If you have an EH-7P charger, can you look on the device itself and see what output voltages it lists on the device please?

The EH-7P is the mains charger with a USB-C output provided with the Z9, and optional for other cameras. When I look at the specs in the Z7-II manual on page 766 it claims the output voltage is only 5v/3A, i.e. USB-PD-15w.

I'm wondering if it's really only 5V or whether what is written in the Z7 manual is limited to 5V because that's the only input voltage supported by the Z7, but that perhaps the EH-7P is a little more capable and might support the other USB-PD voltages of 9v, 12v, and 20v.

Now that the EH-7P is the device used to power the MH-33 charger for the EN-EL18d (a 36WH battery) and the power supply to supply the Z9, which seems to consume 15 or more watts while shooting 8K video, I'm a bit surprised by the lack of power. I suspect a 15w charger is going to take at least 3+ hours to charge a 36W battery after taking into account MH-33 loss and charging loss overheads, and provides no possibility of powering the camera and charging the battery simultaneously.

By contrast when powering the camera from a USB-PD battery pack Nikon recommend (again in the Z7-II manual) the Anker PowerCore+ USB-PD 45w battery pack. 45W over USB-PD is powered with 20v at 2.25A.

This seems weird that the charger supplied is only 5V/3A, and yet the battery pack they recommend is 20v/2.25A, obviously any PD-45 battery pack also supports 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/2.5A, and 20V/2.25A - but if it's only using the 5V output this is rather expensive battery pack ($160) to be recommended with no practical purpose beyond 5V which can be had for $20.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of "what's the highest USB-PD input voltage that the Z9 will benefit from as there's no point bothering with PD-45 systems if it only uses 5V input, any PD-15 system will charge just as fast with a lot more, and cheaper, options.

Roland.

Nikon Z7 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow