Some more small animals, and some thoughts on image sequences

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 9,237
Some more small animals, and some thoughts on image sequences

Yesterday I went back across the road to where I had found several small subjects the day before. That day I ended up with 9 images that I kept. Yesterday I ended up with 58. That was mainly because I found several subjects that stayed in sight for a while as they moved around, which let me (attempt to) capture lots of images of them from various angles, in different poses, with different backgrounds etc. I think sequences of images like these are probably my favourite form of animal close-up/macro photography. It isn't because the images are of especially high quality - with moving subjects, especially when they are small like these were, image quality is typically quite variable. But I do get a sense of the little animals going about their business in their own world, and I like that. It is similar to the feeling I get when I can get sequences of images, typically of larger animals than these, when they are grooming themselves, blowing bubbles (that is mainly flies) or handling prey. It is little windows on life (and sometimes death) as it is playing out, rather than making a striking image of a single instant, or a single pose or scene.

Anyway, here are some of yesterday's images. The rest are in this album at Flickr. The kit and the processing were the same as described here for the previous day's session.

#1  Was this one an aphid nymph perhaps? Whatever it was, it was rather small, for example in comparison to the hopper in the next two images which was itself fairly small. It was moving around but I only managed to get a couple of very similar shots of it.

#2 This hopper remained completely still for a long time. This let me change the magnification/framing and explore different angles as much as I wanted to try to get different backgrounds, but I soon ran out of variations to try and I moved on.

#4 This spider (spiderling?) was rather small. It was continuously tumbling around in the breeze. Most of the time it just stayed in one place rolled up more or less in a ball as it gyrated wildly, but a couple of times it moved around and presented a whole sequence of poses. Obviously the failure rate was high, but I ended up keeping 16 of them. The image quality is a bit iffy for some or arguably all of those, but with sequences I tend to not worry so much about that, because I like the overall effect of the sequence. Here are a couple of them.

#6 Perhaps this next one is a barkfly. Whatever it was, was it in trouble, or was it recently "hatched" and its wings were still in the process of inflating and hardening up? It wasn't moving.

#7 This springtail was bigger than the globular springtail I found the day before, and it wasn't moving around much, so it was relatively easy to photograph.

#9 Another little spider. Like the previous one it was blowing around in the breeze, and was also moving around.

#11 This ? barkfly definitely appeared to be determinedly on its way from somewhere to somewhere else and not just wandering around on the lookout for something of interest.

#13 In contrast, this one appeared to be wandering around somewhat aimlessly. I don't know if this was another recent "hatching", with one wing not yet fully inflated, or whether it had a deformed wing. Be that as it may, the 14 images of it in the Flickr album are probably the best example in this set of the sort of varied opportunities that following a subject around can provide.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow