Comet Leonard kisses global cluster M3

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359
Comet Leonard kisses global cluster M3

Last night, after weeks with rain and snow, we got some hours with clear skies, and now we expect more clouds for weeks. So what to do last night? Of cause, document the comet Leonard passing M13.

Temperature was biting cold minus fifteen degrees Celsius, so my small apo-telescope (76 mm f:4.5, 342 mm focal length) iced down after some hours. After this I used my GM 100-400 mm f:4.5-5.6 telephoto lens at the long end until this lens also iced down. Luckily, this happened at morning break, and then the battery for my Astrotrac 360 also said good bye after many hours in cold and pretty umid climate. The camera, Sony A7rIII, performed very well in the cold and the battery lasts for hours with active exposures.

At least I got all stages of the passage! And I got the kiss!

Leonard flirts with Mrs. Globular. The comet flirts with M3.76 mm apo refractor, 362 mm focal length f:4.5. Exposure 7.5 minutes, 30 sec subs.

The gentle kiss. 76 mm apo refractor, 362 mm focal length f:4.5. Exposure 7.5 minutes, 30 sec subs.

Time to say good bye. Sony GM 100-400 mm zoom lens at 400 mm f:5.6. Exposure 10 minutes, 15 sec subs.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 +1 more
Canon EOS M3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow