Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Jayster18 New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

After reading countless reviews and comparing specs, my head is now completely spinning.  Originally, I wanted to keep the cost below $1,000 and preferably no more than $600 or so.  However, when cost is eliminated from the equation, it seems that almost universally people consistently put the Panasonic LUMIX FZ2500, the Panasonic LUMIX FZ1000 ii, and the Sony Cyber-Shot RX10 IV in the top three of the super-zoom bridge camera category.  This has me rethinking whether I should eliminate the cost issue, especially since I haven't bought a new camera in about 8 years, maybe longer, and since I expect to use whatever I buy for the next 10 years.

Being so used to the 24-840mm focal length of the SX40, I am concerned that I'll find the 25-400mm focal length of the FZ1000 and the 25-480mm focal length of the FZ2500 too short for my needs.  It seems to me that even though the RX10 IV's 24-600mm still isn't quite what I'm used to, it gets me much closer to what I have now in terms of focal length than the FZ1000 ii or the FZ2500 and, compared to my SX40, has the advantage of a 1" sensor.  So, here are my questions at this point:

1. Historically, I have avoided using digital zoom on all my point and shoot cameras because the image quality with digital zoom is vastly inferior.  However, all my current point and shoot cameras have a 1/2.3" sensor and, at this point, are at least 10 years old (based on release date of the camera).  With the RX10 IV's 1" sensor, 20.1MP, and and any other advancements, will I be able to use digital zoom to get photos equivalent to 840mm in focal length of at least comparable quality to what I have now with the SX40's optical zoom of 840mm,  1/2.3" sensor, and 12,1MP?
  2. I very much enjoy macro shooting, especially of plants and flowers, and playing with shallow depth of field.  How are the RX10 IV's macro abilities?
  3. If money were no object, would you get the Sony RX10 IV over any other super-zoom bridge camera given the information I provided in my original post and this one?  If not, what super-zoom would you get and why (again, assuming money were no object)?

Thanks again for your input!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow