Used D3 over a used D500?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AnyISO Forum Member • Posts: 79
Used D3 over a used D500?

I suspect this might have been asked before but I'm unable to track such a thread and hence asking this question.

I shoot wildlife and birds mainly with the 200-500. I currently own the D7200 but wanted to upgrade mainly for the need of a higher FPS - the 6fps of the D7200. Also the wait time for the buffer to empty while shooting bursts is a limiting factor (I shoot 12 bit raw and after about 20 frames, the camera slows down)

Hence my choice was to upgrade to the D500. The D500 (used) is available for about $1000/$1100. While a D3 is available for about half. Its full frame, offers 9fps and the 12mp output more than suffices my needs. Plus the inbuilt vertical grip is an added advantage when it comes to vertical compositions.

Having rented a D500 over a weekend, I was quite bowled over it. However the D3 being a much older model is not available for renting where I live. Hence the question

a) will it be worth spending the extra bucks on a D500 over the D3.

b) What about the autofocus and tracking of a D3 - I found the D500 to be exceptional with group focus tracking (d9) which helped me to nail a lot of shots.

Thanks much in advance for your replies.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3 Nikon D500 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow